Monday, December 11, 2006

Professional Ethics....

Hopefully, my thoughts in this post would not be about what I studied (?) in “Professional Ethics” (do not remember the subject name properly) during my BE. This is one of the few subjects I remember from my BE curriculum. Simply because, the “phenomenal” internal marks I got without studying. My BE mates would elaborate more on this *wild laughter*

Studies over, enter the professional bandwagon. True to what I learnt in BE, joined a company which had (yep, it is past!!) ethics in its core. No, I would not want to elaborate on what ethics is. Please google if unknown. Later on fled to different types of firms, exposed myself to variant flavours of organizational values.

Few weeks ago, desipundit aired tons of blogs on how employees are fleeing companys and how the firms’ bottomline is hit. Fireballs flew to and fro, with each taking their own firm stance.

Coincidentally, one of my friend and colleague at work, resigned during the same time. Contrary to what desi MNCs publicise about their ethics, people blah blah.. he was shabbily handled. It was not that he wanted to fly-off, he respected all the norms, still he had to undergo sleepless nights. Courtesy, his own organization, where he religiously worked for more than 3 years. More on this episode in coming days *very early, believe me :-) *

All the fuss is created/invented when a member of the family*buzzword in any induction program* plans to call it a day. I truly understand the pain an organization takes to employ a worthy candidate. But, sometimes not much effort is put on to maintain the resource *yeah, after recruitment the subject is a resource*. He squanders around in an arena of ambiguity. Well, it may not be the case for everyone here. But, for some people, from whom I have heard, seen, it is like this. Albeit, know people who are content with what they are and their association with their long-time firm.

My dad worked for a single company for more than 35 years. And on his last day at work, I could feel his emotions. Jeeju still works for his first company for almost 15 years (well, you never quit your own company..hehehe) No wonder my jeeju attributes me with monkey (3 changes in 4 years). But, in a generation which breathes “Love your work, not your organisation”, how can one substantiate the motive of working in a company, just for the heck of “not-changing” and without any concrete reasons to stick there.

Well.. I am not advocating people should hop. Am a perfect example of what I missed out, thanks to career change. But, the positive shades overshadowed the negativities (Did it?). Also, I may have to answer lot of HR questions on my frequent changes. I would have been crushed in these interviews. But, at the end of the day, if I am able to convince my prospective employer about my technical thirst, values, I would raise a toast for myself.

People would attribute changing a company to be easier than sticking with a company. Well, for me it is not true. Joining a new company is entering a new world. I need to prove my worth to the new breed of people. I need to authoritatively demonstrate that my work is much more valuable than my CTC. To build comfort-level at work in any multi-national would be a very critical task esp., in consulting role.

All said and done, I want to settle down. I want to seriously stick to my dream company. As job hoppers ridicule the opposite as “Long-time employees are dead logs”, I want to be a dead log. I want to face a HR Int Q: “What motivated you to stay there for X (2 <> 6) years?” Reply back with valid reasons for aeons.

No, am not confused. Neither am I in an ambiguous state, thinking, what went wrong!!! Just wanted to pen down my thoughts as I pondered over this, enroute to my workplace.

As I wrap-up this post, my brain cells are formulating those magical (?) words to be etched onto an email subject “To” my reporting manager. Just got to decide if it is “I love thy organization” or “Moving On…..”

Enjoy your week ahead..

pakku

2 Comments:

Blogger Pramod Viswanath said...

Aha!! Is see someone in the process of putting down his papers... Gosh!!

Well coming to your first line of this post...it's called "Computer Profession And Society". How can I forget that credit that we had during our engineering and more importantly how can I forget the person who taught that subject ;))
Getting a centum in internals..one of my sweet memories about this credit!!

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 4:53:00 AM  
Blogger Pakku said...

well .. thts y we say SV the STUD

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 11:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home