Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I love my MAN.....

Yet again, as the festivals shower my motherland, I am missing all the pomp and fun. For the third consecutive year, I missed ‘Ayutha Pooja’.

Apart from gobbling up the different kind of sweet/savouries, the best thing I miss doing is washing my bikes.

The 8th day (??) of ‘Navaratri’ will make sure that I am awake at sunrise. In whatsoever deep slumber I am!! Because I love my bike(s). This is one day, where I feel the utmost respect for my ‘vaahan’ which takes me round Bangalore without making any fuss.

Few years back, when I started riding, I never felt the feeling of ‘my bike’. It was like afterall its just a bike. But on one fine day enroute to work, I fortunately missed a major road mishap from happening. Obviously, it was not my driving skills; the way things turned out made me feel a sense of belonging for my bike. From then on, it is been ‘my macho man’.

Especially on ‘Ayutha Pooje’, I make sure that I clean up my bike, for almost 2-3 hours(Purposefully I do not give it for external mechanic clean). For all the 2-3 hours, dad would be yelling ‘don’t spill water unnecessarily, try to remove the stains by scrubbing it, not by influx of water’. Hahahhah but my act continues. Pakku always try to get the floss by using more and more water.

The whole act of washing, cleansing and making it ready for the ‘pooja’ is enticing enough. After being a washerman, I change myself to pakku purohit. Performing pooja is not new to me. I just love that, because that’s when I am with my own self.

But ‘gaadi pooje’ is different, as it is done in the open. After applying vibhuti-turmeric-kumkum on exactly 5 relevant places over the bike, me performs the pooja, praying for a safer journey all through the year (more and more mileage obviously!!)

Dad feels that even if it’s a bike pooja, it should be a complete one. When I say complete, all the ‘panchamahabhuta’ should be invoked. They are a)earth- this is usually done by phodofying the coconut onto the ground b)water – the same coconut water is sprinkled over the bike or the water mixed with turmeric c)Air – me thinks the agarbathi pooja is for this (not sure) d) space – mom says to look at the skies before performing the ‘mangalarthi’ e) Fire – obviously pooja performed by lighting up camphor.

After all this is the funniest part, ‘pachkofying’ the turmeric-kumkum greased lemon. Two lemons are kept in front of the tyres to be squeezed. Now while performing the pooja, the bike is standing still thanks to center stand and not side stand (me thinks side stand is for sleeping and centre stand is for standing LOL). The whole point is I need to switch start my bike-without applying brakes for a certain distance, properly ‘pachkofying’ the lemon such that the powerful squeeze makes it to spill over the engines. All this in bare foot !!!

My macho man has never let me down, every time it has been a perfect timing. After all, he likes me. Note that, the bike is never started after the wash. Mechanically, it should take some Kilojoules of heat to be generated within the engine to nullify the spilled water drops. Still, he sees to it that the bike starts properly in one go and the pooja is complete.

Some words about my MAN. Initially, when I drove my economically feasible bike (Victor), it was always an executive driving to office with helmets on and proper motor gear. With all traffic rules in mind, trying to be as efficient as I could be. I liked Victor so much that, I never sold it off. But from the day I bought my Honda, it is been sheer fun on even Bangalore roads (not that I break rules). Not many people believe that, never been penalized even after so many years of riding. Touchwood!! Its smart aggressive ride away from rash driving.

I just love my Unicorn-the sexy looking. The macho man he is, does not even crib if a fatoo is my pillion. He has helped me increase my collection of Shades. Yep, I bought a few more in Singapore. All branded ones, with each totally different from the other. I am just waiting to land in Bang (don’t know when it will happen) and do a John Abraham on my Honda.

Hmm..I miss my Honda in Singapore. Even though my roomie has a 200 cc ‘Phantom’, I am advised not to ride on Singapore roads as it is too synthetic. I shall strictly abide by it, even if it means traveling my MRTs

As I set forth my eyes on the Fords, Palios, Hondas – I shall surely not giveup the pleasure of my Honda ride. Any person who rides a Honda shall unanimously say this :-)

Enjoy your week ahead!!! and desis esp the bangaloreans, enjoy the holidays. GOD alone knows when you people work ;-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Somu said...

Touch woood :)

Hey I had one sincere doubt....in ur 3rd para, u say u make sure you are awake at sunset. Neenu owl aaaa? :p

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger Pakku said...

@Somu: Nice catch!! thanks and updated.

well i still dont understand y do u put ur tongue out? Are you enacting any mythological character by any chance? ;-)

Thursday, October 05, 2006 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home