Thursday, September 21, 2006

CA ??

Till I joined my Bachelors, I was never exposed to computers. I used to hear a lot of noise within family circles, about various individuals going places just because he was a Software Engineer. I was not so keen about Software in my high school days. After my Class X results, first thing I did was I got an application for a Commerce stream in MES, Malleshwaram.

Yep, I love numbers!! Then, what made me drool over taking up Commerce was, I was just too amazed by P Chidambaram. The way he presented the Budget (his so called dream-budget) of then coalition government, I was just thrilled. Well, its not that I understood the netigrity of finance, but his sheer charm made me go crazy over taking up Commerce. I used to then think of myself as qualified Chartered Accountant(CA) working in a Top MNC attending boardroom meetings with whos-who of the corporate industry.

Destiny had its own say. My elder bro when he saw the application for Commerce stream felt I had scored badly in board exams. But, when he got to know of my result, he scolded me LRC for taking up such a "hasty" decision. He had lots of reason too. Being a CA is good but the ladders which led to CA were a tortourous 5 years. 2 years in PU and 3 in Bachelors(later I got to know there are other ways)!! And again a minimum of 3 years to complete CA. And CA is not BE(CS) also. As per my understanding, around 10-20 CAs are churned out every year. So that’s almost a decade lost in education.

Well, the capitalistic approach I followed, I would not let a decade go-off without returns. So kind of hitch in my mind, I had to take up Science stream. I was kind of influenced by people around me who spoke in great terms for science. But I made it clear that it would be engineering and not medicine. I dreaded Bio classes in my PU. I only studied Bio as I wanted to know about life, not at all as a stepping stone to medicine. Even though I had better rank in Medicine, the thought of taking up MBBS never crossed my minds.

Well it is been almost 10 years now, after that decision. Today, when I look back, it is been quite an achievement. Afterall, software aint rocket science neither accountancy is! One thing I have admired about software field, it has given me an opportunity to step into quite a few countries.

This may not have been possible if I had taken up commerce. That too, within 4 yrs of corporate life, literally No!!! But still I love finance stream. Some day, when I am totally pissed off in software, would wish to complete my dream. Atleast an MBA in Finance if not CA. Amen!!

In class X, someone had asked me what do you want to be in life? Inspired by one of my relative’s designation, I had answered General Manager-Finance. Then, I did not know what it meant also. But, somehow the phrase “GM-Finance” amused me a lot. Now, I hope to be that atleast in my early 30’s. Destiny shall decide!!

No, I am not at all cribbing about my current job. It is my passion for finance ruling over my need to work in software.

3 Comments:

Blogger Harsha said...

I actually fell in love with computers when I was in 7th. I knew exactly what I wanted to be when I was in 8th, a comp engg and I knew it paid good. And I worked hard towards it and now I am here. I am not sure why, but I dont have the passion for it anymore. It is just a job now, its not passion for programming that drives me. I want to rediscover my love for prog again. :)

Thursday, September 21, 2006 5:24:00 PM  
Blogger Pakku said...

@SG: arre waah, your mind is still contemplating on what your passion is!! Intersting state :D

Seriously, I envy those people who strictly follow there passion. mera number kab aayega!!!

@Harsha: Lucky you mann! Good for you. Haan, whenever I feel bored of this damn work, I read success stories of Dell,Infy, Wipro, IBM....it does act as a energiser albeit for short span :-(

Friday, September 22, 2006 1:49:00 PM  
Blogger Pramod Viswanath said...

Pakku..good contemplation. I had a craze for computers since I was in 7th Grade. My friend's Bro was doing his Engg in CS in RV Coll of Engg. First time I saw a 486 at his place and he had developed his own FULLY GRAPHICAL chess program and got a prize...graphics in 486... I realised that when I was in my +2! So, computers were and are a passion for me stilll....but oflate started "re-discovering" myself in photography :). Thanks thanks to another friend Mr Anil and few fantastic photographers of Bangalore and Naturalists whom I am interacting with...I feel there is still something I can squeeze out of CS and finance..hmm I always want to be an enterpreneur and I always wanna do my MBA as well so welcome to the club.:D

Saturday, September 23, 2006 2:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home