Wednesday, December 13, 2006

More than just a game...

*Composed during random hours*
After a gruelling six months of work in our clients’ place, we get to find out that they do have a “recreation club” within their IT building (note, it is not a huge sprawling campus as we see in western countries). May be our client thought of keeping this place away from people like us. So, there is a separate elevator to this place. We were shocked to notice this first.

Let me decelerate your thoughts about Recreation Club, as this is just a rooftop floor, which houses a home theatre system, huge HD plasma TV and DVD system. You can also find a few indoor games like chess etc., But, the most enticing thing was the prescence of fooseball table (albeit, Chinese one).

Buoy, don’t I get excited by just thinking of fooseball. No brownie points to guess, what our POA was. Attackk!!!! Of the half-a-dozen junta, not many had played this game before. Only thyself and a senior personnel had played it before. As it needs four people (doubles), I had to convince two others to get into it. Well…when yours truly starts talking about his Turn-Ons, the herd follows.

I adore fooseball as it is totally todo with reflex action and one of those indoor games, which lets you come out of your mental stress. Specifically, when all four are relatively fast and competent. Craziness of playing in high reflex action filled environ can be attributed to my love for “gully” cricket.

Two teams started playing with a combination of experienced and relatively novice. Myself teamed up with Smita (senior colleague). First few days, was a cakewalk for us, as the experienced guy in the opposite team was finding it tough. Although, it was two years (last played with kothi in US) I played, the eternal touch had not gone from my wrists.

There was this shot, which I could hit from one end of the table to the opposite goalpost within a flip of eyelash, which would make all the difference. People were just stunned!!! Smita termed it the “Powershot”. Yep, it was. With defense as tight as the Italians and a forward as good as the brazilians, myself and Smita made winning a habit. Yep, a habit.

This is when ignorance creeped in (esp with me). Upcoming games saw me experiment too much with my shots, but as always the “powershot” would have the final smile. But, winning margins decreased and there was a sense of urgency from either side to finish the game.

As days passed on, games became very tightly fought. And the invincible fooseball duo of pakku-Smita started losing in patches. It became more frequent going on. The excellent cross-angled shots of Smita were blocked. “Powershots” couldn’t find the goalpost, all the magic of dribbling or passing faded.

Last week, on the penultimate day of Smita’s departure from Singapore, we lost all the games. And, as left early on the last day, couldn’t send her off with a winning smile. It was made more evident when she quipped “Prakash, we lost yesterday”, as she left from office.

Going ahead, found a new guy, novice in fooseball. But, the worst of it all, I had lost that “magical” touch. And finally, today worst had to come. The scoreline read 0-10. Pakku had miserably failed. It was as though all the GODs wanted the scoreline to read 0-10. As if, the goalpost was blocked for us.

Now, late in the night, I am not able to digest that scoreline. Against an opposition which is Indian-Media like (GODs when succeed, on failure Dogs) scoreline speaks much more than numbers. I am playing innumerable virtual games in my mind. Inventing new passing, dribbling, “powershots” just to get myself back to winning habit.

A game played for max 15 mins after-official hours has made me think so much. Yesterday night, could not chat with my friends properly. Consequence of which, saw abrupt closure of messenger, catalysed with random dinner.

I am just waiting for the clock to tick 6.30 pm today. For a change, on startup I will be a minnow…. I don’t mind!!!! Bring it on....
Update at 5 pm-Wed, Singapore: The scoreline reads 10-5, 10-8, 7-10, 10-9, 10-4. Bingo!! Bulls Eye!! After all, Winning is pakku's passion.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pramod Viswanath said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, December 15, 2006 5:04:00 AM  
Blogger Pramod Viswanath said...

I guess it was more mental. May be you missed your *alter ego* soooooo much that, it gave you an impression of "disgust" [:D], wat say?

On a serious note, I agree that all games are "mental" and are capable of making you feel rejuvenated as well as droop your shoulders at the same time.

Friday, December 15, 2006 5:06:00 AM  
Blogger Pakku said...

@SV: I missed my magical touch and was pissed off with that ONLY....

Thursday, December 21, 2006 4:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home