Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Just another day....

Right from the moment, I got off from my bed, sensed a feeling that today would not be those happy fun days. Just those gloomy days, where you crib for the mundane mechanical life you lead overseas away from your dear ones. Weekdays, have really been so mechanical, just like those Metro Trains, which travel to and forth in the specified preset time. Wakeup-Breakfast-Office-Home-Cook-Read/Surf-Sleep, with nature calls punctuating them. One phrase sums up every damn weekday here.

Well I do not have a choice, but surely I can make things better for myself. Everytime, I feel disgusted in life, I speak to my parents back home or think of those lovely moments shared with my dear friends. You people are so far but yet so near. Now if I keep calling India on a regular basis, I would have to get a new “Communication Expenses” component reimbursed by my company. For which, they would surely say “No”.

Apart from these, I try to get connected to my roots over OFC wires (bad joke). Yeah, it is none other than Mangalore. Unknowingly, I get rejuvenated, by just reading about it. This summer, after my brother’s marriage, on mommy dear’s behest, we decided to visit most of the temples in Mangalore (Dakshina Kannada). Mom always says that temples there do have that soothing effect, which makes any individual serene and calm. Well, me being the last pampered one in the family, it was just that I needed some forum to pain my bhabhi(atthige). Real fun it is to virtually rag a just-married lady, who had come to a new place and trying to get adjusted to the environment and above that finds a naughty in-law in me. But, the fun did not last long as mom threatened that my brother would do the same to my bride. Well, I had to stop it then, as I would not want my wifey dear to answer those irritating questions.

We visited some dozen temples in span of 2 days and I was just thrillingly amazed by the history behind each of those. Wonderful experience to cherish, away from this world of documents,timesheets, conference calls, presentations blah blah. Thankfully, I had my mama, who resides in Moodabidri, to detail every aspect of those sacred places. Don’t exactly remember each one of them, but for the divine idols image etched onto my minds. Unfortunatley, do not have those photos with me now. Who cares when I have Google to get the details!!! Collating all those details in my space, so that I do not spend time googling for those time and again.

1. Kollur Mookambika Temple
Kollur is one of the seven pilgrimages which were created by Parashurama. It is situated at the banks of the never drying river Sauparnika.

The main statue in the temple is the Shiva linga called the Jyothirlingam. This Jyotirlingam in front of the image of the Goddess Mookambika is of great antiquity. A golden line divides this lingam into two unequal parts and is visible only in the light of reflected sunlight pointed at the lingam. The right portion of this lingam is said to represent Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva - as the conscious static principles and the larger left part Lakshmi, Saraswathi and Parvathi - the creative energy principles. It is a belief that the three goddess Lakshmi, Saraswathi, Parvathi and the three lords Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara emerged out of it.

Since it was Friday, we had a mouth-watering sweetened poddoal (don’t ask me what it is, I know only to eat)
2. Kateel Durgaparameshwari Temple

Situated on the banks of River Nandini, amidst beautiful surroundings, is the spiritual energy center of South Kanara district. Goddess Durga is the loving and caring mother of the people of South Kanara.

Frequent this place, whenever I go to my hometown. Notable thing in this temple is, the idol is very small. You cannot view it completely, unless it has the shringaara of “Soumya Roopa”

More info, here

3. Sri Mangaladevi Temple

The place name Mangalapura (now Mangalore) owes its origin to the temple of Mangaladevi. Situated in Bolar about 3 kms from Hampankatta (the heart of the city), the temple has its roots into the ninth century. The ardent devotees even today believe that the worship of Mangaldevi brings them prosperity and happiness.

More here
4. Kudroli Gokarnanatheswara Temple

This was my first visit to this place. The renovation work which took place recently has given a new trendy look, but not losing the typical mangalore temple charm. During the renovation work, including the Garbhagudi, the whole temple was rebuilt with a whooping cost of around Rs. 1 crore. This is what they call it as “BrahmaKalashabisheka”.
When the "Nagamandala" was performed during the "BrahmaKalasha", the locals had the greatest delight of watching the live Nagadevaera (King Cobra is worshipped as GOD) play over the mandala. Not all people are blessed or can afford to perform it. Aint it such a wonderful experience. Lucky are those people!! Locals believe that the Naga Pooja is successfull, only if the Snake-GOD comes and plays around the mandala.
More here
Let me get the info on few more places I visited and my thoughts about them in general in my next post.
C'est la vie

3 Comments:

Blogger Pramod Viswanath said...

Hmm I have visited all of them you mentioned many times. Awesome places, amazing energies around. Also, Idugunji Ganesha temple ...not sure if you have visited.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 5:27:00 PM  
Blogger Preethi said...

:(.. I didnt go to any of these..:(
But I've been to Murudeshwar, Maravanta and Soude among many others.. they are awesome places too...

Friday, June 30, 2006 2:41:00 AM  
Blogger Pakku said...

@pramod: You should see these places, its very wel connected places.

@SG : Dont miss a chance to see these places, when you go there next :-). Its really worth it.

Friday, June 30, 2006 10:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home