Sunday, January 28, 2007

(Fore)Hand of GOD

Way back in Wimbledon 2001, Round-16 match with then top seed 'Pistol' Pete Sampras and this new bloke on international tennis circuit, Roger Federer. I was a huge huge fan of Pete for his passion, "huh-hah" free tennis on court, almost-zero unforced errors and above all his energy-levels to play 5-setters. And this match of his was supposed to be his 100th win in Wimby , if he had won it.

Unfortunately, Pete lost to Roger. Many records in Wimby stayed unbroken. Fanatic I was about Pete, I was not happy at all that Roger broke his dream run in Wimbledon. True to my curse, Roger lost his QF game and crashed out.

Five years later, as I laze around in the same city as the Aussie Grandslam is being played, I hear myself thumping "Go Federer". I am impressed by you Roger!!! You look more like mixture of Bjorne Borg and Pete Sampras. Moreso of Sampras. You may end up breaking Petes' number of Grandslams won, still you are worth it. And above all, I have gone crazy about your forehand shot. Its simply the "Hand of GOD"

You are still so young at 25 and have already won 9 grandslams, I wish you double that number by the end of your career and provide tennis (only grandslams) fans like us the entertainment we need the most.

Go for it blokey, you have it in you....
ps: Hope you crush Gonzo in aussie style :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Pramod Viswanath said...

What did I say? Glad to see you writing about Feddy without "roger"ing it! :D

Monday, January 29, 2007 1:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home